RSS

Monday, May 28, 2007

Home Sweet Home

A trip to IKEA over the weekend made me realise that, amidst my over enthusiasm for gym, I have neglected my plans for mini home makeover. No doubt my apartment is puny but still, a home is a home, right? I have been repeatedly reminded that I should feel blessed that I own a property, regardless of space size and less than ideal environment. Yeah, I should give thanks indeed. Feel so guilty about the endless bitching. A small roof is better than no roof...

A lot of my mini home projects have been shelved because fitness took priority. Well...I admit that lack of budget is part of the reason too but lately I have been spending based on wrong priorities and now I'm kicking myself. My home is liveable but it is not as furnished as I wished it to be. At a time like this, wouldn't it be nice to be picked for a home makeover TV show ala Astro's Casa Impian.

I think part of the reason why I have procrastinated a lot, besides using gym as an excuse (poor thing..), is that I absolutely hate furniture shopping (exception given to IKEA). I have developed a phobia from visiting too many furniture and lighting outlets prior to shifting in. It also doesn't help that my living space is small which makes planning a whole lot tougher.

As nice as IKEA is, I am not 100% sold on all their items. IKEA, in my opinion, is not so great in the furniture department. I should know, since I own an IKEA sofa. Their strength is their ability to come up with many creative designs. I absolutely love their kitchen accessories. The temptation of all those household items are just simply irresistable.

My immediate shopping list:
1. Bed frame - I still do not have a bed frame....how pathetic is that? Sigh....
2. Wardrobe - Need the additional space.
3. Glass Shelf - I owe it to my 100++ shotglasses to get a proper display shelf.
4. Coffee table - I am still in search for the right coffee table.
5. Posters - I hate to buy generic posters from IKEA but I may end up doing exactly that.
6. Cans of Paint - What is makeover without repainting right?
7. Gigantic size mirrors - Since my apt is so damn small, maybe fixing huge mirrors all over the place will make it look like a bungalow?? No? OK, just kidding....

My "will buy if hit lottery" wishlist:
1. Leather sofa - Did I mention that my IKEA sofa sucks?
2. Aircons in every rooms - Who cares if electricity rate for service apt is higher than condos.
3. Change to darker tints - Stewpit me never realise that hot air rises...duh. Anyone in search of saunas are welcomed to my place. Free of charge. Available 24 hours. Bring own towel.
4. New PC - OK, this is not considered a household item but who cares...this is my wishlist.
5. New car - See item 4.

Somehow going to the gym seems so much easier. Who would have thought...exercising is more fun and motivating than doing home decor. Sheesh.....

No comments: