RSS

Monday, May 21, 2007

Tales of wedding....not mine la

If there is ever anything that I am guilty of, it is definitely me not attending the countless wedding invitations from friends and colleagues in recent years. Very very guilty of that. Very very bad of me. I don't know if it's a phobia symptom or if it is just plain laziness on my part. Maybe I just hate weddings. That must be it.. Sometimes I wonder if my friends think of me as being arrogant for not coming. I think I've came up with every imaginable lame excuses. One thing is for sure though...I hate dressing up for weddings. Somehow I never know what to expect...should I keep it simple or should I dress up?

I'm not sure about weddings in KL but back in hometown, attending a wedding reception is like attending a ball. This is the time when the ladies bring out their best fashion collection and show off their jewelleries. You can just see gold glittering everywhere. The guys usually come in shirt and tie, some with coats. Children? Apa lagi...dressed up like entering a pageant...damn cute. Wedding receptions are usually held in restaurants or hotels.

I attended a former colleague's wedding in Penang about 7 years ago. It was in a small restaurant and everyone just dressed normal. Nothing fancy. My biggest culture shock that nite was when several guests went up on the tiny stage for karaoke session. Karaoke?? During a wedding??

Then there was my sister's wedding in KL many moons back. Guests came in jeans, t-shirt, shorts and slippers. Dressings are all very cina ah pek type. Another shocker for me. Weddings in West M'sia are like that kah?? The other thing that I'm not used to is having wedding receptions in the home. Is this wedding or family gathering? You know what irritates me the most about home receptions?? Whether it's wedding receptions, birthday bash, full moon or whatever la.....the tent sure extended until the road side, blocking traffic. Wei...this is a housing area la. What right do you have to block off part of the road just so you can have your makan-makan??

Why am I suddenly talking about weddings? Well, I have made a decision to attend a friend's wedding in July. Booked myself a 6 days return flight to Land of the Hornbills. Hmmm...weddings near near don't want to attend...want to go far far pulak. Actually I'm killing 2 birds with one stone la...since already there, may as well balik kampung lor. My greatest fear is not attending the wedding at the last minute...knowing myself, I have a tendency to do that. Between now and July, must go make a dress fit for a grand malay wedding. My friend and her fiance are anak orang kaya...connections to VIPs....so guarantee their wedding will be damn grand. Surely I cannot turn up in a simple baju kurung that looks like pasar malam rejects. Buat malu saja. Gaya mesti ada la. So, I've to go shop for the right material, search thru fashion mags for the right design and go hunting for a tailor. Aiyo...what a hassle.

See.....this is why I hate to attend weddings. Banyak leceh la...

No comments: