RSS

Monday, April 26, 2010

Let's talk Loser...

and by that, I meant, the hit reality weight loss show...not that musical drama GLEE... is for Loser.  If you have never watched GLEE, I guess you'll be wondering what the hell am I talking about. Anyway......

I want to touch a little about the Biggest Loser show.  Being an avid fan, I love watching the contestants losing massive amount of weights week after week.  Their transformation is simply amazing.  Of course, Asia has just concluded its own version of Biggest Loser Asia recently.  In that show, I noticed that many of the contestants do not take weight loss seriously enough to make any significant difference.  The commitment is just not there 100%.  At the season finale, we saw that many of the contestants who were voted out early did not get any thinner, unlike the US or Australian version, where we see a huge difference in all the contestants.  My guess is that, as soon as they left the show, they went back to binge-ing the old ways and not exercising much. 

The reason I'm bringing this up is because, yesterday I had a field day arguing with a gym instructor about BL, who thinks that the show is sending wrong messages about living healthy. The truth of the matter is, in the real world, it is of course not realistic to lose 50-60kgs in 2-3 months and exercising 6-8 hours a day.  BL is not only about that...In a perfect world, people have jobs and families.  They face food temptations everywhere, plus, they may not always be able to exercise daily.  The other question is...is it healthy to lose 50-60kgs in 2 months?  I don't see why not.  If losing that amount of weight gets a person off 10 different medications, I don't see why not.....

While BL is a show about weight loss, it is still a competition. And as in any reality show, whenever you put  people together in the same house, there will always be drama. The important message to be learned out of this show, IMO, about is about taking the first step towards losing weight and learning that exercising and eating right is the correct way to go, not diet pills and surgery.  Can a fat/obese person lose 50kg, 100kg ?  Of course! It may take longer than 3 months but as long as they incorporate exercise and healthy eating, they can do it.  Sadly, most people only understand the first part of that equation.  I've seen fat people putting in hours upon hours at the gym but their diet is less than perfect.  There is always that mentality oh, I burned 600 calories, therefore I'm entitled to eat junk food after gym. What a load of crap...

Anyway, I feel that the show is and should be an eye opening for people who are fat or obese.  It is shown in 90 countries so, imo, it is an intricate part of pop culture doing some good to the world.  I don't think the show is sending any wrong messages, at all.

No comments: