RSS

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Behind that name

AUDREY
Origin: Old English
Meaning: noble strength


It seems that there are many interesting and unusual English names these days. Some are english names which do exist, unusual as they may be. However, some names are just purely made up by individuals who want to be so-called "different". I find it odd and amusing that some people will go to all lengths to create their own english names. It’s one thing to be creative and wanting to be original in name, but some of these names are just downright ridiculous. Some people never bother to find out the meaning of those names before adopting them. Don't even get me started on the spellings of these unusual self created names...

I once had a housemate with the name Vico (the first lesbian I ever knew, lots of drama..that's another story..). The name reminded me of the chocolate drink, VICO. In fact, I never knew such name exist until that drink appeared in the market. Interestingly enough, the name VICO does exist as an english name. It’s actually a masculine name and is the italian short form for Victor. I bet you my former housemate never knew this.

Last week I met a replacement instructor by the name of Aubrey. Back in college, I had a guy friend by that name so naturally, I’ve always thought that Audrey is for girl, Aubrey is for boy. Imagine my surprise when this instructor walked over to the table I was at..

Aubrey came over to introduce herself to Adrienne and I while we were waiting for the BJ class to end. This is the first time an instructor actually took the initiative to introduce herself/himself to us first, so I was very touched by her gesture. Due to the similarity of our names (only one alphabet differentiates us), she remembered me throughout the class…ahaks.

I did some research and found out that Aubrey actually applies to both masculine and feminine. Interesting…things that I never knew.

AUBREY
Gender: Masculine & Feminine
Usage:
English
Pronounced: AWB-ree
[key]
Norman French form of the Germanic name
ALBERICH. Originally a masculine name, since the mid-1970s this has more frequently been given to girls.

I have a few acquaintances with unusual names...Lexiss, Vernice, Terrenz, Yunice, Adon, Felin, Alvie, Demiey, Kavin, Canry, Christenny, Sherona, Jessly, Raychi, Rykel...to name a few. If you do a search in the Names Dictionary, chances are you won’t find any of those names in there. Definitely TOP MARKS for creativity.

There are some people who have names that are spelled differently from the traditional ones. I'm not talking about names that do have legit different spellings eg. Katherine-->Kathryn, Christine-->Kristin, John-->Jon, Kelvin-->Calvin, Dylan-->Dillon, etc etc. Sure, we all want names that are a little different from the norm but can you imagine naming your child "Robeen" instead of "Robin", or "Daynis" instead of "Dennis". The poor kid has to spell out his name each time just so people can get the spelling right.

Speaking of names, I remember this conversation I had with a classmate during school days:

Classmate: Can you think of an english name for my brother?
Me: Sure, how about Dennis..
Classmate: No la..sound like Tennis
Me: Ok...how about Adrian..
Classmate: No la...sound like drain
Me: Patrick?
Classmate: Sound like Battery wor..
Me: @#%&* !!

What’s behind your name?

No comments: