RSS

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

My gym experience

It has been 9 months since I first joined the gym at IOI. Honestly, I didn't think I would have lasted this long. 9 continuous months...that is amazing. I had given myself 3 months..tops.

To begin with, I had no intention of joining any gym. Not knowing how to operate the exercise machines is one thing...my greatest fear is can I even lift the machines? Anyway, my friend Stephanie was kinda interested so she invited me to visit the promo booth at IOI before the gym officially opened. Now, my weakness has always been my difficulty to say NO...which is why I avoid going for anything that says FREE TRIAL cos I know I will end up signing for whatever program or package being offered. And indeed I signed up for minimum 3 months gym membership.

I have to admit..after almost a year, I'm enjoying my time at the gym. It helps that I have gym kakis there or else I won't be that motivated. I had started off religiously using the machines but now I go for their classes instead. My favorite is Body Combat. I just can't get enough of it but unfortunately I can only attend BC once a week as I have my sights set on other classes on other days. My first ever exercise VCD which I got years ago was on Aeroboxing...something very very similar to BC. Other classes which I go for are Body Pump, Body Balance, Body Jam and Yoga.

I push myself to do better for BP. This is my next favorite class, after BC. I'm proud to say I have managed to successfully increase the weights since my first class back in Sept 2006. Most of the time I look forward to this class but usually midway thru, I questioned myself why the hell am I doing this.

I haven't been consistently attending BJ but after last sunday's class, I can now officially say I SUCK at BJ. Good Lord, I'm so bad at this. I can't tell the difference between turning left or turning right...and in BJ, they turn a lot..I mean, a lot. Pening kepala...

My other intention of joining gym is to gain some body weight. It has been a yo yo attempt thus far. I gained some but I may have lost some too. This has always been a difficult task for me and it's so frustrating.

One area which I had not been successful is my abs. My bulging tummy is still there. I tried Pilate class for about 2 months but I've stopped going since. No offense but pilate is a tad too boring for me.

I enjoy going for the classes and I enjoy mixing with the regular members there. I have a lot of respect for the instructors there. Everything seem so effortless for them. Hmm...I wonder if I will ever get to their level of fitness...

My only negative gym experience has been getting knee pain twice over a period of 2 months. In fact, I had to take the whole December off to rest my knees. I have always tried to be careful when I do any exercise that involves the knees but I guess somewhere in between I must have not been careful enough. This whole experience has taught me to be appreciate my body more. I'm glad to say both my knees are now back to normal, well...99.5%. I hope to stay physically healthy for the rest of the year. That, by the way, is also my new year resolution.

Thanks to my fav GX instructors for making the classes fun.

No comments: