RSS

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cooking Project - Cantonese Yee Mee

Here's my attempt at another cooking project, noodles this time. I've cooked noodles before, spaghetti for example but this would be my first attempt at cooking yee mee. 

Yee mee are round coiled crispy noodles that are deep fried. Usually sold in a packet of 5 cakes.  In most eating outlets, yee mee is usually cooked in claypots or sizzling hotplates. I decided to make mine cantonese or ying yong style, which is sorta starchy soup.

Browsed thru my fridge and the only veggie I have are snow peas and carrots.  Luckily I do have some chicken slices.  Marinated them in some soya sauce, sesame oil and pepper.

Sauteed some garlic in 2tbsp oil and added snow peas and some mushroom slices.  Next, added some water and starch water. Adedd salt to taste.  Everything was looking good at this point.  I thought of adding more flavor to the liquid by putting in 1-2 drops of sesame oil when I realised that I had actually forgotten my marinated chicken slices.  Quicky added them in. Did not add in extra sesame oil since the marinated chicken already had sesame oil.  Too much and it would become too overwhelming.  When the liquid was near boiling, I added in 1 beaten egg ala egg drop. 

On a plate, I lay out one cake of yee mee.  When the soup was ready, I then poured over the noodle.  Since yee mee is already pre-cooked, it wasn't  necessarily to cook it again but if you wish, you can do so.  

Poured the soup over the noodle.

A better view of the yee mee once I broke it apart.

Verdict - Probably should have added a little bit more water to the soup as yee mee tend to soak up liquid pretty fast.  Next time, I think I will cook the noodle along with the soup for a few seconds, just to soften up the noodle quicker, as well as have the noodle soak up some of the soupy flavor.

This meal was not a total disaster.  Taste wise, this could use a little bit more seasoning.  The soup is lacking some meaty sweetness as well, so next time I should consider using chicken broth, not plain water.  This doesn't taste exactly like the ones sold outside but hey, this one is healthier because there is no MSG.  Not bad la, can eat.

No comments: