RSS

Monday, May 18, 2015

Is 4 really that bad?

Chinese people do not like the number 4.  In the Chinese language, 4 means death, regardless of whether it is said in Mandarin, Cantonese, Teochew, Hokkien or whatever Chinese dialect.  In Feng Shui, 4 is a no no. In some buildings in Asia, you will often see that there is no 4 in the lift buttons or 4th floor.  It is most often replaced with a 3A or 13A, etc. 

I was once told of a story of a rich businessman who had some reading done on his life and he was told that 4 is his lucky number. The guy drove a car with the plate number '4'.  Not exactly bad luck now is it?

I wouldn't say that I don't believe that the number 4 is no good but I also don't believe that numbers dictate whether you have good fortune or not. I don't like 4 simply because of how it sounds when spoken in Chinese. Just 4 alone.  I'm fine if it's 14, 24, 54, 94, etc. 

I'm trying to sell my house and a few agents who offer their services have asked what is my house number. They are pleased when I gave them the reply. Mind you, I have a very auspicious house number -- 18. In Feng shui, this is like striking gold.  Anything that ends with 8 is good. I do have to admit that when I first bought the property at that time, I chose this number simply because 8 is considered a good number. 

Well, 10 plus years of staying here and this so called auspicious number has not brought me any ounce of luck. I am still not rich. I have not have any luck selling the place despite the prosperous number.  Hell, my house was broken into twice. It's not like I didn't believe that eight is good.  You know the whole Secret thingy, the "you must believe in order for it to happen" yada yada. Anyway, I smile in amusement when property agents tell me my house number is good, that their Chinese clients are very particular about numbers, bla bla bla. Yeah ok, promote the house number however they wish but just close the sale!

I'm done believing that 4 is always bad.  Yeah...new apartment is on the 24th floor, number 24. Take that! I can tell you right now, I am more excited about No.24 than I am when I first bought No. 18.

No comments: