RSS

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Travel Recap - London (Dec 2011)

When I was in Egham, I had the chance to spend a total of 4 days in London. The train fare to London Waterloo cost £9.40 return. I went to the usual touristy places, of course.  Travelling on the the underground tube was very easy. There are maps available in each station to check which correct lines to take. I have an Oyster card with me so each tube ride cost me £1.90 instead of £4.  I just have to top up the value either at the counter or any of the machines at the station.  I must say London underground was extremely crowded.  Trains are usually full of people and everyone seemed to be in a rush to get somewhere.  I had planned out my trip beforehand so I knew exactly where I wanted to go. Here are some of the places that I visited.
Buckingham Palace during changing of the guards.  Waited for almost 2 hours for this event and there were so many tourists that gathered there.  For me, watching this one time is good enough.  
Big Ben and Westminster Abbey
A stroll on the way to around St. James Park on the way to Buckingham Palace.
Tower of London.  
St.Paul's Cathedral.  Adult admission fee was £14.50. I took the challenge of climbing up 530 steps to the top of the Dome.  It was easy....but then again, I was really fit then :-)
After hearing so much about Harrods, I definitely had to go see for myself this infamous shopping place.  It was impressive alright especially the Food Hall but overall,  I only spent about 2 hours in Harrods because nothing was cheap here and I wasn't keen to window shop here anyway.  I must say though, the window displays impressed me more than the store itself. 


I love Covent Market.  There are lots of shops here and plenty of street performances to keep one entertained. Had my first taste of paella rice here too. 
British Museum - awesome museum with many great displays.  Best of all, entry is FREE!
As it was December when I was visiting London, the streets in London in particular, Oxford Street and Picadilly Circus were brightly lit with Christmas lights.  Tons of people along this shopping area. Too crowded for my liking. 
 

When in London, going to a theatre show is simply a must!  I was considering between either Chicago, Priscilla or Mamma Mia but I told myself I really have to watch the latter in London.  
Prince of Wales Theatre - easily accessible by tube.
I had an awesome evening watching Mamma Mia.  Love ABBA songs...
Next time when I return to London, I would definitely catch another musical. 

No comments: