RSS

Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Slam King

Ta dah.........presenting my new shoes for Mt.Kinabalu climb. 
My initial plan was to get a pair of "Kampung Adidas" shoes which is cheap black rubber shoes whom a number of climbers swore by.  The shop that I went to didn't have that for my feet size and I was recommended an alternative instead. 

This unknown brand, Slam King, has better design, looks and feel sturdier, and of course more expensive than its counterpart.  It has the same rubber studs on the bottom, which hopefully will give me good grip during my nite climb.  Unlike the Kampung Adidas which is all rubber, Slam King is, I would say, 80% rubber.  The box advertised this shoe as Football Sports Shoe, most probably because of the studs.
 
Side view

Top view

Bottom view - check out the rubber studs
Wore this shoes 3 weeks ago on a hiking trip to test them out.  Verdict is..they're not too bad.  They're quite comfortable to walk in and the grip is pretty good.  I was able to focus more on my hike than be worried if I was gonna slip.  I can't say if the grip will be good enough on granites but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I intend to put extra cushion soles on later so that I will get the extra comfort.  With thick socks on, I think I should be a OK.  

Slam King is priced at between RM23.00 - 26.00, depending on which shops you get them from, I guess.  I got mine at a trading shop in Kuchai Lama.  I was told the price had gone up a bit....hmmmm.

No comments: